Prior to reviewing the experimental method, determine the POH settings together with the student given the days ambient conditions.
- Beginning from normal cruise, reduct the power and airspeed to match the predetermined range values
- Lean the mixture as per your POHs instructions
- You may choose to adjust the power setting as appropriate for head/tailwinds
- Repeat steps from Max Range except using values for maximum endurance
- Allow Student practice and explain airspeed indications as well as aircraft status
- Prior to the flight, have a piece of paper with a T-Table on it. The columns should be Power and Airspeed
- Starting at cruise, record the power setting and airspeed
- Reduce power 100 RPM and allow the aircraft to stabilize, be patient
- Once stabilized, record airspeed
- Flight for range occurs when the greatest airspeed drops per 100 RPM
- Have the student record while you fly
- For endurance, keep reducing power until the minimum power is achieved.
- Lean mixture in both cases and point out control effectiveness
Demonstrate the next lesson if time permits. (Slow Flight)